Prithvi defence vehicle interceptor missile
Prithvi defence vehicle interceptor missile :- The recent successful test of Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) interceptor missile is part of Indian Ballistic Missile Defence Program . Prithvi Defence Vehicle is part of a concentrated effort to develop a two-tiered missile defence system by India to counter the threat emanating from Pakistan and china’s strategic missiles .
Interceptor missiles, the Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) and the Advanced Air Defence (Ashwin) missile are designed to provide a high-low cover against incoming ballistic missiles from pakistan and china . The development of India’s Ballistic Missile Defence is a cause of concern for Pakistan, as an effective system would to a certain degree negate Pakistan’s strategic strike capability .
The homegrown anti-ballistic missile, dubbed Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV), is capable of destroying targets at a high altitude of more than 120 km in the exo-atmospheric region. Defence analysts say India crossed an important milestone in building an arsenal of anti-ballistic missile interceptors . Prithvi Defence Vehicle, the interceptor indigenously developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), can destroyed the target missile at an altitude of 150 km.
So Here are 10 Reasons that make Prithvi Defence Vehicle interceptor missile one of the best of its class in the world:
1 .Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) Program, is part of a concentrated effort to develop a two-tiered missile defence system by India to counter the threat emanating from Pakistan’s and china’s strategic missile force.
2. Development of an Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) anti-ballistic missile system began in late 1999, suggesting that India initiated the programme in light of Pakistan’s eschewing of a nuclear No first use policy and heightened tensions during the Kargil war including a possibility of full-scale nuclear war.
3. Prithvi Defence Vehicle interceptor missile is capable of destroying an incoming missile with a strike range of around 2,000 km outside the earth’s atmosphere.
4. It puts India in elite club of nations possessing ballistic missile defense . India became the fifth country of have such system Other countries are US, Russia, Israel, and China. It provides a significant boost to self reliance & the indigenous technology system of India.
5. The Prithvi Defence Vehicle will replace the PAD with a far more capable missile and will complete the Phase 1 of the BMD system .
6. The interceptor guided by high accuracy Inertial Navigation System (INS) and supported by a Redundant Micro Navigation System (RMNS) moved towards the estimated point of the interception.
7 . From detection to interception, the entire exercise would be fully automated and there will no human intervention. The Prithvi Defence Vehicle interceptor is a part of a multi-layered BMD system .
8. In an automated operation, the radar and tracking system detected the target missile, predicted its trajectory and gave the requisite command to fire the interceptor missile.According to scientist V K Saraswat of DRDO the missiles will work in tandem to ensure a hit probability of 99.8 percent.
READ THIS ALSO : Top 7 secret weapons of India | DailyDefenceNews
9. The advantage of intercepting an incoming missile at such a high altitude is that the debris would not fall on the ground and there would be no collateral damage.
10. On 27 April 2014 first Prithvi Defence Vehicle was successfully test conducted by DRDO. On 11 February 2017, DRDO successfully conducted second test for PDV missile .